[Chugalug] Redhat Yum can still be RPM-Hell(tm)

Mike Harrison cluon at geeklabs.com
Wed Aug 28 14:57:46 UTC 2013

> installed.  Its just a GUI wrapper for the chkconfig for Upstart and sysvinit. You also don't
> need to manage services in RHEL by linking and unlinking files in the respective /etc/init.d
> and such. You should really be using chkconfig  to control which services start at boot
> (should handle xinetd as well).  If you need to stop/start/restsart/whatever a service, you
> should use the "service" command.  An example would be: service network restart

yea, the MS-Way.. not "/etc/init.d/httpd start"

they aren't "services" they are daemons ;)

I'd love commands like:

daemon apache2 live
daemon tomcat die

Thanks for 'chkconfig' that's a new one. on me.
I went the Debian then the Ubuntu way at Redhat 9..
It's similar to "update-rc.d", but I don't use it either,
been doing it the hard way too long. Laughing..
But I'm trying to make an install document/procedure for others.
Trying to find the best ways and that will work.