[Chugalug] Gnome planning to remove middle click copy-paste

DaWorm daworm at gmail.com
Wed Aug 28 14:23:43 UTC 2013

On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 10:14 AM, Mike Harrison <cluon at geeklabs.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 28 Aug 2013, DaWorm wrote:
>
>> So, what does middle click even do?  I've never used it (I was weened on
>> two button mice, the
>> middle is just a scroll wheel to me).
>>

> It's the greatest cut and paste tool/ui in the world:
>
> mouse over a block of text...(highlight it)
>
> pull up other app/window and middle click to paste it.

This just a Gnome thing?  Since 90% of my computing time is at work where
I'm stuck using Windows, I tend to stick to mousing things that are common:
left and right click pretty much do the same-ish things everywhere (-where-
you right click may be different, but you almost always get a menu if you
get anything).  Middle click in Windows 7 brings up some sort of "scroll"
indicator, and moving the mouse scrolls you up or down or left or right (if
that is available).  Most of my machines at home are running Xubuntu, I'll
see what it is XFCE does when I get home (if I can, these are all laptops
with no middle button).

Learn something new every day.

Jeff.