[Chugalug] Redhat Yum can still be RPM-Hell(tm)

Lynn Dixon boodaddy at gmail.com
Wed Aug 28 14:20:26 UTC 2013

If you don't plan on running a GUI, then you don't need
system-config-services to be installed.  Its just a GUI wrapper for the
chkconfig for Upstart and sysvinit. You also don't need to manage services
in RHEL by linking and unlinking files in the respective /etc/init.d and
such.
You should really be using chkconfig  to control which services start at
boot (should handle xinetd as well).  If you need to
stop/start/restsart/whatever a service, you should use the "service"
command.  An example would be: service network restart

Typcially anything that has system-config-*  is just going to be a GUI
wrapper for the pre-existing CLI tool for those that prefer to do things in
a gui.  One exception is the system-config-firewall-tui, which is a really
good iptables CLI management tool.

RHEL has and will always be primarily designed for run level 3.  Redhat's
main focus is to make the entire OS manageable from CLI, but to also
provide GUI wrappers for those same tools for people that do choose to run
runlevel 5. At Mohawk, we have a policy that all production servers run in
runlevel 3, with no GUI tools installed. QA and Dev boxes only get GUI
tools on a case-by-case basis.  Once you learn the tools Red Hat builds
into their OS for CLI management, you will be amazed at how easily it can
be managed.

I just downloaed the most recent ISO for RHEL6.4 earlier this week, as I
had to deploy a physical machine on Monday.  I did not have the DTS channel
or repo enabled on the default install, so I am not sure how it became
enabled on your instance.  Did you modify the repos during the install?
As far as DTS, you shouldn't need anything in that repo for any production
box.  The packages in DTS  are going to be very upstream from the current
RHEL packages, and are meant for developers whom need extremely current
toolsets so they can develop future packages for RHEL without being as
"bleeding" edge as Fedora.  A good way to describe it would be that DTS has
packages that are "in-between" the current Fedora release, and the current
RHEL revision.