[Chugalug] Client burned by previous hosting provider

David White dwrudy at gmail.com
Mon Aug 26 22:08:24 UTC 2013

Suffice it to say that the provider gave their services of building the
website for free, and then charged them a huge (over $200/month) price tag
for the hosting, and haven't been responsive or helpful whenever the client
needed help / technical support.

I see at least 3 big mistakes by that (non-Chattanooga-based) provider:
1) Provided something of value for free
2) Overpriced their hosting fees
3) Provided crappy customer service

On Mon, Aug 26, 2013 at 5:43 PM, William Roush
<william.roush at roushtech.net>wrote:

> I'd imagine the only way they'd determine those kinds of issues existed in
> the first place would be if they had someone technical on their team in
> that understands those kinds of issues, which according to David they
> don't...
> I'm just kind of weary of a customer that has been "burned" but doesn't
> really understand the ways they can be burned (such as the reasons you've
> pointed out).
> William Roush
> On 8/26/2013 5:37 PM, Dave Brockman wrote:
>> On 8/26/2013 3:42 PM, William Roush wrote:
>>> If I had to make a bet: they didn't make payment on something they
>>> were supposed to (probably development), and they got their site
>>> taken down.
>>> It's the only way I could see people getting "burned" but still
>>> willing to go with a VPS that they are in control of.
>> I've cleaned up a ton of VPS/Hosted/Cloud servers "managed" by a
>> "developer" who don't know their their arse from a hole in the ground
>> when it comes to systems administration:
>> All services running as single local administrator account, CHECK
>> Single Local Administrator Account w/ easy 3 character pwd, CHECK
>> All services on system exposed to global internet, CHECK
>> 5+ year out of date Java/Flash/Shockwave installed and enabled, CHECK
>> All updates disabled (MS updates break my sensitive code!), CHECK
>> Obvious evidence of surfing from this Swiss cheese, CHECK
>> And besides, if you give a developer access to update the website,
>> they can update it back to any backups they may have.  More
>> importantly, ensure they have control over the Domain.
>> Web/VPS/Hosting companies are a dime a dozen these days, controlling
>> what points where is the key.
>> Regards,
>> dtb
>> Version: GnuPG v2.0.17 (MingW32)
>> rUE+**LYVbRiu9Pl8MJxNdbz7stlfnNngrCi**JLPO8S529hOsdb5GhXxv1FnN3gzXbi
>> QTBBJgMiYZfNjzm5GbizlL0r4jm1O/**p2O6vmYE7F2GgEkP3oEYdt9oToIhwQ**aCZ1
>> uTTMlzZmEE9skq8NwyIRdC85ix1muZ**ml94yrZVzNAtMP23qTTAgXBF5qjtQ7**ch3D
>> 22PjKtxGhVZThezebQyXcYDwdBXr01**wD+**882PW3D2UsEewtw00V4MAlIjMFxKN/**E
>> 6ZoF0fX54BzmYMzF1FCuVA8f6ONk2N**G7361MWmUU7CfwZlvWBg9opgnWEOEW**uzM=
>> =o+vl
>> -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

David White
Founder & CEO