[Chugalug] [OT] Bye Steve

Mike Harrison cluon at geeklabs.com
Sat Aug 24 11:52:31 UTC 2013

On Fri, 23 Aug 2013, Eric Wolf wrote:
> I never thought of Bill Gates as charismatic until Ballmer took the reigns.
> I hope, for everyone's sake, that Microsoft chooses a good CEO. They still dominate too much of the
> industry and their CEOs personality trickles all the way down.

Well said. It's time for a respected leader and visionary, maybe even one
from outside of the company. They have been drinking their own kool-aid
too long. I've been working on a couple of Winders 7 and 2008 Servers in a
corporate network environment (It's all they have) to access a Linux
system. They do what the IT department has locked them down to do well,
which isn't much. Where the Mac and Linux work is short, is that scale of
corporate networked environment, with the management tools for IT
departments that enable techs with very basic skills and little actual
understanding to keep things running.

Microsoft rules in that environment, although that hold is eroding.

What would be good for everyone would be a direction for Microsoft that
embraces the rest of the world (Linux, *nix, Mac, Android.. ) and the
world standards for protocols, and brings their expertise to the mix.

Their history of "Embrace, Extend, Extinguish" leaves us wary, and their
security issues, now revealed at "nation state" levels, leave us scared.

I know little of Ballmer, but every time I see him, I think "schmuck".
We all need Microsoft to do better. Too much depends on it (right now)
for it to suck more.