[Chugalug] Amazon EC2 woes

wes wes at the-wes.com
Thu Aug 22 04:41:51 UTC 2013

> jbird at jbird:~$ chmod 400 ~/Downloads/laptop.pem
> jbird at jbird:~$ ssh -i ~/Downloads/laptop.pem
> ubuntu at ec2-54-235-163-94.compute-1.amazonaws.com
> Permission denied (publickey).
> jbird at jbird:~$ ssh -i ~/Downloads/laptop.pem
> JBirdVegas at ec2-54-235-163-94.compute-1.amazonaws.com
> Permission denied (publickey).
> jbird at jbird:~$ ssh -i ~/Downloads/laptop.pem
> root at ec2-54-235-163-94.compute-1.amazonaws.com
> Permission denied (publickey).

you also need to enable the public key in the authorized_keys file. the
fact that the filename ends in .pem makes me wonder where you got it.

I'm on a different laptop and don't have the original key used to generate
> the instance... am I screwed?  Should I just dump this instance and make a
> new one? (it wouldn't be a huge pain I'd just have to email a couple users
> but nothing important is hosted there yet)

Yup, you're screwed. The easiest solution is indeed to nuke it and start
over. There is a way to recover but it's likely more work than it's worth
in your situation.

-wes