[Chugalug] Amazon EC2 woes

Jon Stanford jbirdvegas at aokp.co
Thu Aug 22 04:23:39 UTC 2013

Thanks for the help guys but I can't even ssh into the instance. I created a new key for the instance which my browser downloaded but I can't use it to log in!

I've tried through a terminal and through the web ssh client (which won't let me change the key name, even though the key name it is using doesn't exist) each time the same publickey error

jbird at jbird:~$ chmod 400 ~/Downloads/laptop.pem
jbird at jbird:~$ ssh -i ~/Downloads/laptop.pem ubuntu at ec2-54-235-163-94.compute-1.amazonaws.com
Permission denied (publickey).
jbird at jbird:~$ ssh -i ~/Downloads/laptop.pem JBirdVegas at ec2-54-235-163-94.compute-1.amazonaws.com
Permission denied (publickey).
jbird at jbird:~$ ssh -i ~/Downloads/laptop.pem root at ec2-54-235-163-94.compute-1.amazonaws.com
Permission denied (publickey).

I'm on a different laptop and don't have the original key used to generate the instance... am I screwed? Should I just dump this instance and make a new one? (it wouldn't be a huge pain I'd just have to email a couple users but nothing important is hosted there yet)