[Chugalug] OT Funny IT Stories

Unkmar unkmar at gmail.com
Thu Aug 22 03:55:15 UTC 2013

1. I was running my computer repair store. A machine comes in for some
standard virus cleaning.  I'm standing there with the customer watching
over my shoulder as I reboot the machine into safe mode.  I don't remember
if explorer had crashed or what.  I just remember, I only had the task
manager window available.  I used run to open another window and since task
manager loves to be always on top. I moved the window towards the upper
left and out of my way.  About 3 seconds later I had maximized another
window using the handy double click title bar trick. Was about to do
something else when the customer asks. "How did you do that?"  I responded,
"Do what?, This?" so I unmaximized the windows and remaxmized it.  Customer
says "No."  So I ask, "What?  This?"  so I grab the task manager and wiggle
it around. He says, "Yes, that!"  Friends, I have to say, My shear
disbelief is all that allowed me to deadpan explain how to move a window
around a GUI.

2. A customer asks if they can watch as I work on their computer and if
their watching makes me nervous. I informed them, sure, you can watch.  You
likely won't be able to keep up with what I'm doing unless I intentionally
slow down and explain it. And if someone ever complains you are making them
nervous while working on their computer.  They are done, They don't know
what they are doing and shouldn't be working on your computer.