[Chugalug] OT Funny IT Stories

John Aldrich jmaldrich at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 21 13:58:23 UTC 2013

Back in the day when I was working tech support for a certain local
ISP (now no longer in business) I was on the phone walking a customer
through setting up her email. After it was all set up, I told her
something along the lines of "now you can get on-line and download all
your email." Her response was "You mean I need to be on-line to get my
email???"

I put the phone on hold and let out a shriek of anguish, then picked
the call back up and nicely told the lady, "Yes, you'll have to be
connected to the internet to get your email" at which time we
exchanged pleasant goodbyes and hung up.

At that point in my Tech Support career, I was walking customers
through making a dial-up using Trumpet Winsock in Win311/95 while
working in Linux myself.