[Chugalug] OT Funny IT Stories

Chad Smith chad78 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 21 03:06:59 UTC 2013


I, too, was impressed by the ingenuity of the automatic mouse mover....
 Pointless as it may have been.

*- Chad W. Smith*


On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 6:30 PM, Randy Yates <lpcustom at gmail.com> wrote:

> You have to admit that's pretty crafty.
>
>
> On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 7:27 PM, Mike Smith <mikeosmith at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Name of company omitted to protect the guilty.
>>
>> There was a Mac, a mouse taped to a rubber band in turn taped to the
>> desk. A string connected to a phone cord connected to a small oscillating
>> fan. The fan would turn and the tension was just so that the mouse would
>> move to keep the mac from going to sleep. It was a production critical
>> system.
>>
>> Pointing out that you could turn off sleep, or remove it from the group
>> in XServe, or DONT PUT PRODUCTION ON AN EXPOSED USER CLASS SYSTEM all had
>> the same affect.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Mike Smith
>> (423) 650-4417
>>
>>
>> On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 6:58 PM, Stephen Kraus <ub3ratl4sf00 at gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>> Couldn't find a port I could get working easily on OpenVMS
>>>
>>>
>>> On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 6:53 PM, Aaron welch <n2nightfall at gmail.com>wrote:
>>>
>>>> Should have installed Missile Command.  :+P
>>>>
>>>> -AW
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 6:46 PM, Stephen Kraus <ub3ratl4sf00 at gmail.com>wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> Operations guys were complaining of being bored on flights, so I
>>>>> helped them install Oregon Trail on OpenVMS for our aircraft.
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 6:36 PM, wes <wes at the-wes.com> wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>>> that reminds me of the time I was doing tech support, talking someone
>>>>>> through setting up their email account on outlook express....
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Outgoing Mail Server: sasinsam masinmary tasintom pasinpaul [headdesk]
>>>>>>
>>>>>> this one isn't mine, but is my favorite IT WTF story:
>>>>>>
>>>>>> http://www.ibiblio.org/harris/500milemail.html
>>>>>>
>>>>>> -wes
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>> On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 2:26 PM, Aaron welch <n2nightfall at gmail.com>wrote:
>>>>>>
>>>>>>> I once worked on a UT professors computer in the support department.
>>>>>>>  I stuck a CD in the CDROM drive to install some driver software, but it
>>>>>>> would not read the disk.  I used this disk like 100 times a day, so I know
>>>>>>> it worked.  I open the tray and look at the disk, but there is nothing
>>>>>>> wrong.  As I go to put it back into the drive I notice something weird
>>>>>>> about the tray, a brown ring.  As it turns out, he thought that the coffee
>>>>>>> tray was the best idea ever for computers as it kept him from spilling it
>>>>>>> on his desk piled with crap.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> -AW
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 5:08 PM, Randy Yates <lpcustom at gmail.com>wrote:
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> I thought I'd start this because I was just telling some friends
>>>>>>>> about something that happened at a previous company, and I wanted to hear
>>>>>>>> more funny stories from the IT world.
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> The company I worked at used HP Service Center for etickets. We
>>>>>>>> called their support because we had a question about LDAP authentication.
>>>>>>>> The support guy told us that we would have to call LDAP with the question.
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> Who's next?
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> --
>>>>>>>> Google reads my email!
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>>>>>> Chugalug mailing list
>>>>>>>> Chugalug at chugalug.org
>>>>>>>> http://chugalug.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/chugalug
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> --
>>>>>>> Aaron Welch
>>>>>>> Chief Mechanic @ Geek Ventures
>>>>>>> 423-505-9999
>>>>>>> n2nightfall at gmail.com
>>>>>>> "Enabling people to do great things with their own ideas."
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>>>>> Chugalug mailing list
>>>>>>> Chugalug at chugalug.org
>>>>>>> http://chugalug.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/chugalug
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>>>> Chugalug mailing list
>>>>>> Chugalug at chugalug.org
>>>>>> http://chugalug.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/chugalug
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>>> Chugalug mailing list
>>>>> Chugalug at chugalug.org
>>>>> http://chugalug.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/chugalug
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> --
>>>> Aaron Welch
>>>> Chief Mechanic @ Geek Ventures
>>>> 423-505-9999
>>>> n2nightfall at gmail.com
>>>> "Enabling people to do great things with their own ideas."
>>>>
>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>> Chugalug mailing list
>>>> Chugalug at chugalug.org
>>>> http://chugalug.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/chugalug
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> Chugalug mailing list
>>> Chugalug at chugalug.org
>>> http://chugalug.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/chugalug
>>>
>>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> Chugalug mailing list
>> Chugalug at chugalug.org
>> http://chugalug.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/chugalug
>>
>>
>
>
> --
> Google reads my email!
>
> _______________________________________________
> Chugalug mailing list
> Chugalug at chugalug.org
> http://chugalug.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/chugalug
>
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://chugalug.org/pipermail/chugalug/attachments/20130820/ee1ce38b/attachment-0001.html>


More information about the Chugalug mailing list