[Chugalug] OT Funny IT Stories

Dave Brockman dave at brockmans.com
Wed Aug 21 01:55:10 UTC 2013

On 8/20/2013 6:07 PM, Benjamin Stewart wrote:
> I once had to get a user to access a website that was only
> available over HTTPS, and in order to make it clear, I spelled it
> out for them phonetically. However, somehow
> "Harry-Tom-Tom-Paul-Sam" turned into HPPTF.

delta-tango-bravo has been translated into some very interesting
interpretations also....

> Oh and there was the guy who couldn't find the "Play" button on
> the Quicktime Player window.

Did I ever put the <ANY> key covers on any of your keys?

> I've seen a VGA cable plugged into the back up an HP LaserJet
> printer. Hey, it fit!

The jammed a VGA cable onto a serial connection?  Or that older video
that only had 9 pins?  I don't think that was VGA.

> Earlier this year, I had a lady from marketing (you know the type)
> call me in a panic to tell me that she had forwarded a virus-laden
> email (using her Mac) to someone at another company ("Hey, is this
> yours?"), and it had infected all of their PCs. She wanted me to go
> over there and clean up her mess. That didn't fall within our
> department's scope, but someone else on this list did happen to
> inherit that mess...

ROFL.  I hadn't heard that side of it.  It was only a couple of PCs,
so it wasn't that bad.  And honestly, it kinda made my day to talk to
Daniel, even if it was to mention that maybe a certain lady from
marketing shouldn't be forwarding obvious nastiness along.