[Chugalug] OT Funny IT Stories

Benjamin Stewart stewartbenjamin at gmail.com
Tue Aug 20 22:07:26 UTC 2013

I once had to get a user to access a website that was only available over
HTTPS, and in order to make it clear, I spelled it out for them
phonetically. However, somehow "Harry-Tom-Tom-Paul-Sam" turned into HPPTF.

Oh and there was the guy who couldn't find the "Play" button on the
Quicktime Player window.

I've seen a VGA cable plugged into the back up an HP LaserJet printer. Hey,
it fit!

Earlier this year, I had a lady from marketing (you know the type) call me
in a panic to tell me that she had forwarded a virus-laden email (using her
Mac) to someone at another company ("Hey, is this yours?"), and it had
infected all of their PCs. She wanted me to go over there and clean up her
mess. That didn't fall within our department's scope, but someone else on
this list did happen to inherit that mess...

On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 5:26 PM, Aaron welch <n2nightfall at gmail.com> wrote:

> I once worked on a UT professors computer in the support department.  I
> stuck a CD in the CDROM drive to install some driver software, but it would
> not read the disk.  I used this disk like 100 times a day, so I know it
> worked.  I open the tray and look at the disk, but there is nothing wrong.
>  As I go to put it back into the drive I notice something weird about the
> tray, a brown ring.  As it turns out, he thought that the coffee tray was
> the best idea ever for computers as it kept him from spilling it on his
> desk piled with crap.
>
> -AW
>

> On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 5:08 PM, Randy Yates <lpcustom at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I thought I'd start this because I was just telling some friends about
>> something that happened at a previous company, and I wanted to hear more
>> funny stories from the IT world.
>>
>> The company I worked at used HP Service Center for etickets. We called
>> their support because we had a question about LDAP authentication. The
>> support guy told us that we would have to call LDAP with the question.
>>
>> Who's next?
>>
>> --
>> Google reads my email!

> Aaron Welch
> Chief Mechanic @ Geek Ventures
> 423-505-9999
> n2nightfall at gmail.com
> "Enabling people to do great things with their own ideas."

                              Benjamin Stewart

                               <o(((><