[Chugalug] SAMBA-Lite?

Joe Freeman joe at netbyjoe.com
Tue Aug 20 20:20:05 UTC 2013

Trumpet was a popular stack, especially for doing slip/ppp. MS eventually
came out with their own, add-on stack. Actually there were two versions as
recall, A&B. A sucked eggs hard and was unusable. B worked ok, but it was
really nothing more than the BSD IP stack reworked slightly and recompiled
to run under Windows.

When I was working in the hospital, I had to prove to an equipment vendor
(and the CIO) that yes, we could run IP over token ring, even on that
vendor's gear which was nothing more than a Win311 box with an dedicated
I/O acquisition card to read things like EKG leads and send the readings to
a central server. I also had to explain to the same vendor that no, you
can't set a token ring card to 4Mbps, then try to join a 16Mbps ring and
expect good things to happen. That was mid to late 90's.