[Chugalug] SAMBA-Lite?

Mike Harrison cluon at geeklabs.com
Tue Aug 20 19:46:14 UTC 2013

> I guess I must have missed where Mike said the Linux/smb server was in the same network as the Windows client...

It's on different IP ranges, all internal but behind the same firewall.
SMB works well over TCPIP if the ports are allowed/routed and it's fast
network. I have a feeling all these systems are virtual, and may actually
be on the same hardware or nearby hardware.

What upsets me about some of the things we do with technology is
knowing how they "stick" and get built upon, when they really were not
meant for what they do. Remember when TCPIP wasn't even an option in
Microsoft land and we had to install 3rd party network shims to get it to
play nice with the *nixes and Macs?