[Chugalug] Telecommuting (was: Nashville vs. Atlanta)

Mike Robinson miker at sundialservices.com
Tue Aug 20 15:48:04 UTC 2013

I have "worked remotely" virtually my entire career.  It's nonsensical to think that "it just can't work," especially in any business relating to the development and/or maintenance of computer software.

To do the work, you don't have to be "where the computer is."  In fact, you are NOT "where the computer is."  All that you need is to be part of a well-organized and cohesive team.  There are many, many excellent ways by which a distributed team can be organized and run with great efficiency.  (Up to and including gathering everyone in a virtual "room" where everyone can look at everyone else.)  The only thing that's missing is:  miles of commuting, pricey class-A office space in a glass-walled building, and rented cubicles.  And you very simply do not need any of those things to do this work.