[Chugalug] Another Cisco Question

David White dwrudy at gmail.com
Mon Aug 19 14:38:44 UTC 2013

I have to say, as much as I don't like to say it, I'm leaning right now
towards the Ubiquiti APs over anything else right now. If EnGenius indeed
uses the exact same hardware, then I really don't understand why I should
pay around $80 more for something that doesn't have a central controller
(even though said controller is software based and runs on Java - excuse me
while I throw up).

http://www.amazon.com/EnGenius-Technologies-High-powered-Distribution-EAP600/dp/B009V17BYC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1376922349&sr=8-2&keywords=engenius+N600

http://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Networks-UniFi-Enterprise-System/dp/B004XXMUCQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1376922715&sr=8-1&keywords=ubiquiti+unifi

As David Ingram pointed out, once its configured properly, you don't need
the controller. It's nice to have around though, for monitoring purposes. I
just hate the fact that it runs on Java and that you have to blow some
holes in your Windows-based firewall to make it work properly (at least,
that's what I had to do in order to get the controller software to be able
to talk to the APs).

Regardless, seems to me that you can do more stuff with Ubiquiti's
deployment options, and you can monitor them, and that they'd be easier to
configure in the long run, especially if you deploy multiple APs.

Aside from the Java software, I've been impressed with the ones used in my
1 client's location (and now that I know the system, it was really easy to
add a 3rd AP to their network, which I did successfully for them recently)

On Wed, Aug 14, 2013 at 7:01 AM, Mike Harrison <cluon at geeklabs.com> wrote:

> The Cluebat Swung:
>
>> Can't stand the Fujitsu stuff...
>>

> We/I don't play with that level of gear, but I just saw for the first time
> big Fujitsu servers and network gear at a clients. I didn't even know they
> did that kind of stuff... Just curious: Why don't you like it? Doesn't
> work? Hard to Support? Weird Paradigms? Breaks a lot?

David White
Founder & CEO
*
*