[Chugalug] OT: Frustration

John Aldrich mrmaxx at spamcop.net
Sun Aug 18 03:23:36 UTC 2013

So, I've ordered an upgrade of my Dish Network service, and I have a bunch of
stuff I haven't watched on my current DVR. I ask the CS rep if there's any way
to get it off the current DVR before I have to send in the old one. He says
"sure... just copy it off via an external hard drive."
So today I go out and buy a 3TB external drive, and try to hook it up. No go.
I contact Dish, they say "Oh, that won't work... it has to be 2 TB or less,
and powered." So, I run out and buy a 1.5 TB drive. Come to find out, it's not
powered, so I run out and buy a powered USB hub, and hook it between the DVR
and the hard drive. Drive spins, up, receiver says "not supported." I go back
to Dish, and NOW they're saying "Oh, your DVR doesn't support an external hard
drive."
AAARRRRRGGGGGHHH!!!!