[Chugalug] Nashville vs Atlanta

Matt Keys mk6032 at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 17 10:42:29 UTC 2013

Absolutely agree. I work for a unified communications company. By using
the software we sell we prove that statement every day. Business is
booming which IMO is a fantastic sign of the times (we're hiring btw).
All of our employees work remotely.

I get more work done remotely than any brick 'n mortar job would ever
get out of me simply because I don't have to go anywhere to be at work.
In a pro/con comparison that can also be a con but it's way less painful
and obvious than the cons usually found in office jobs. Any IT company
that argues otherwise is a fool (Yahoo) and is destined to fall short of
their competitors who do embrace it. It recall it being obvious in
higher education as well -- if you don't offer degree programs online
your enrollment levels will fall short of those that do. With the
technology available today there's just no excuse unless your job is
physical.

I also think it's environmentally irresponsible not to embrace remote
workers. Think of your carbon footprint driving that ~200mi/day, the
power consumed on those office lights, computers, fax/printers, HVAC,
etc. Georgia for example offers tax breaks to companies that offer
telecommuting to employees. Going back to the Nashville vs Atlanta
argument I don't think TN has done anything like that yet.