[Chugalug] Learning C/C++

kitepilot at kitepilot.com kitepilot at kitepilot.com
Sat Aug 17 02:30:43 UTC 2013

Hello Jon, I did a few years of professional C before I ventured into C++.
First of, C is not C++, and vice versa.
You can write 'C like stuff' in C++, but you will have an steeper slope to
climb into C++ if you learn C first.  And vice versa...

The problem is that the differences are subtle and sneaky, and you will
shoot yourself in the foot meandering around them.
It is a lot more difficult to shoot yourself in the foot with C++ than in C,
but when you, you blow the whole leg...

I'd advise against going the C route because there is no C  market out
there.  Unless you are writing kernel stuff, device driver or embedded
programs.  And you will invalidate the 'advantage' of knowing OO.

Sometime ago I offered free C++ classes in the library and only one victim
bit into it, and he has been suffering ever since.  The guy is, as you might
say, a glutton for punishment.  He may or may not come forward to you, but
he certainly started at a much lower level than you would and he has
(AMAZINGLY!) actually learnt something.  And he reads this list...   ;-)

With all that baloney said, I'd gladly trade you some C++ classes for
Android development classes.  I'll even throw in there some hours of (valid
FAA training) flight instruction.
Any interest?
ET

PS: And I am a better teacher than a programmer.  So goes for flying too.  I
am a better instructor than a pilot...