[Chugalug] Newbie question

Randy Yates lpcustom at gmail.com
Sat Aug 17 00:22:26 UTC 2013

I'd also like to give a few other helpful hints while I'm looking at it.

1. Learn OOP PHP now before developing bad habits.
2. Use PDO instead of the old mysql functions.
3. Your data is open for SQL injection as it sits. Learn about that and
learn how to prevent it. It's easy if you use PDO.
4. As soon as you can(after exploring OOP a bit), learn an MVC framework
such as Symfony, Fuel, Laravel, or CodeIgniter. You'll be able to separate
your code and maintain it easier later on.
5. You can check out my intro to PHP videos on youtube which cover PDO and
a little OOP.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jASUZjhZz04&list=PL9D51D102F582F504

On Fri, Aug 16, 2013 at 8:17 PM, Tyler Mittan <flashbatmanquestion at gmail.com
> wrote:

> Thanks, Dan. I just left to grab a bite to eat, but I'll try it out when I
> get home.
> On Aug 16, 2013 8:12 PM, "Dan Lyke" <danlyke at flutterby.com> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Aug 16, 2013 at 5:04 PM, Tyler Mittan
>> <flashbatmanquestion at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Sure:
>> > http://pastebin.com/VjBfUdtF
>>
>> A potential "gotcha": I believe that mysql has two connection methods
>> for the local machine, TCP/IP via "localhost", and local filesystem
>> accessible sockets. Does:
>>
>> mysql --host=localhost --user=root --password=root inventory
>>
>> connect correctly?
>>
>> Dan

Google reads my email!