[Chugalug] Ugly font on Tim Berners-Lee's home page

Robert A. Kelly III bluethegrappler at gmail.com
Fri Aug 16 05:15:30 UTC 2013

On 08/13/2013 10:40 PM, Chad Smith wrote:
> There's also this:
>
> http://www.tug.dk/FontCatalogue/tgpagella/

This looks interesting, it is supposed to be expanded from URW Palladio
L so it contains many more glyphs, but I'm not sure if the hinting has
been improved.

> and here you can get the Palatino license for only $29 (not some insane
> $549)
>
> http://store1.adobe.com/cfusion/store/html/index.cfm?store=OLS-US&event=displayFont&code=PLTQ10005000
>
> (and that's Adobe.com, btw, so seems legit)

Note that is per font face. You will want at least regular, bold,
italic, and bold italic for $116. It appears this still contains a much
smaller set of glyphs than the complete Palatino Linotype.

Of course, many people will want to use free fonts for the same reason
many people choose to use free software. Debian, of course, contains
only free software (including fonts) by default, for similar reasons.

I've never read the licensing details on the fonts included with
Windows, so I'm not sure if the conditions technically allow you to use
them with a different OS, or on other computers, etc. Using a free
operating system and then licensing a proprietary one to get a font
seems a bit antithetical, lol. Of course, if you are dual-booting why
not use the font you've already licensed with that other OS?

Anyone care to explore the details of using Palatino from your Windows
install on Linux? Or, more challenging, explore the relevant licensing
terms to see if this is technically permitted?

> And there are other options...
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palatino#Availability

Of course there are quite a few alternatives, but the article also says
URW Palladio L is the only one that is legally free. (It does mention
the derivatives TeX Gyre Pagella and FPL Neu.)

Has anyone tried one of these derivatives? I suppose you could
technically substitute any font you wanted for Palatino, although I'm
not sure what the implications are with Palatino being specified by
PostScript standards.