[Chugalug] OT: Cisco UCS - Has anyone tried Zoning on Fabric Internconnects?

Reed Gregory reed.gregory at gmail.com
Thu Aug 15 22:47:50 UTC 2013

Have you tried the UCS emulator?  It is pretty good for testing scenarios.
 FYI, direct zoning / direct attach of storage to the FIs doesn't seem that
common from what I have seen.  For example there are only VCE vblock
implementations with MDS9148 (for segmented FC network) and Nexus 5548s or
similar for unified networks.  Since you are looking at a new SAN then you
could go FCoE directly and in that case it would be either going with Nexus
or direct.

However, when I was looking at a new san, FC front end ports were much
cheaper than FCoE ports.  On the EMC VNX 5300 we purchased you also only
get 2 10G FCoE ports per i/o module where you get 4 8G FC ports.  I am
planning to do 2 MDS9148 for our UCS implementation and use FC port
trunking.

The UCS support forums are also good places to ask questions:
https://supportforums.cisco.com/community/netpro/data-center/unified-computing

On Thu, Aug 15, 2013 at 9:07 AM, Bret McHone <dbmchone at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm just curious if any of you Cisco Gurus out there have tried the
> software release on a UCS platform that allows for zoning on the Fabric
> Interconnects?
>
> With the purchase of a new SAN immenent, I like to review configurations
> and make sure the way we are going to put things in place is going to be
> what fits our needs best.
>
> While I openly admit that I dislike Cisco for their
> switches/wireless/cost/complexity.. I have to hand it to them about the
> Nexus 5K/2K  and UCS platform. It's really nice and they were actually able
> to get the price to a really competitive point on those.
>

> Thanks,
> Bret

Reed Gregory
reed.gregory at gmail.com