[Chugalug] OT - Historical Kickstarter - The Panama Canal

Dan Lyke danlyke at flutterby.com
Thu Aug 15 20:25:38 UTC 2013

On Thu, 15 Aug 2013 15:00:25 -0400 (EDT)
Phil Shapiro <pshapiro at his.com> wrote:
> Panama gets about 60 inches of rain per year. It's pretty much like
> living underneath a faucet.

I say this living in a place that gets around 25" a year, but
unless you've got some severe seasonality (we usually get less than an
inch June through October, and the year we got 45" during the rainy
season was pretty wet), I'd say "living underneath a faucet" doesn't
really start 'til you get over 100" a year (ie: southeast Alaska).

Which, of course, sent me to Google, where I learned that you meant
way more than 60" a year:

   "The mean annual rainfall at Colon is 129.04 inches; at Porto Bello
   169.15 inches, and at Balboa 91.61 inches."

http://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/abs/10.1175/1520-0493%281919%2947%3C298%3APR%3E2.0.CO%3B2

Dan