[Chugalug] Nashville vs Atlanta

Andrew Pierce foomonkey at gmail.com
Wed Aug 14 23:37:13 UTC 2013

Last year, when trying to escape cubicle hell here in Chattanooga at a
large disability insurance company, I was looking for other opportunities.
Outside of Unum, BCBS, and TVA, Chattanooga IT jobs are scarce or do not
pay very well (at least that is my experience with the Chattanooga job
market). So, I looked in Atlanta. I found a GREAT company that offered me a
job making more than I was making in my previous company, casual work
environment, an annual bonus, health club membership, and my choice of a PC
or Mac.

However, while the cost of living is similar to Chattanooga, housing still
was ridiculous by comparison. And yes, the state income tax takes a big
chunk out of your paycheck. Yes, you can deduct that from your Federal
taxes but that doesn't happen until April 15 every year.

But the real deal killer was the traffic. I mean everywhere you go in
Atlanta you deal with SHITTY traffic at all times of the day and every day
of the week. I lived in Nashville for five years. While they have more
traffic than Chattanooga, it is nothing compared to the hell that is
Atlanta traffic.

I have friends that live in Atlanta and are quite happy. But they tell me
that they plan their day around traffic patterns. That just sucks.

I am not trying to kill your desire for Atlanta but if I had to choose
between Nashville and Atlanta, I would definitely go to Nashville. It is a
big town with pro sports, entertainment, night life, and ample job
opportunities without all the BS of Atlanta.

My $0.02.

Andrew