[Chugalug] Nashville vs Atlanta

gary hasty ghasty at hastypudding.com
Wed Aug 14 12:29:37 UTC 2013

There's a big push right now I'm working with the Chamber of Commerce on to
make Atlanta "the mobile hub" and they're pumping a lot of money into
midtown to make it a technology corridor.  That being said...I wouldn't be
living in Atlanta if I didn't have to.

* traffic is horrible...but a lot of companies are finally catching onto
telecommutting because of it
* yes, cost of living is very high although real estate is still suffering
so you can get some decent deals
* State income tax
* granted, I was living in midtown for years and then moved out to the
burbs after being broken into 3 times and wife stopped working...there is
NOTHING going on in the burbs where I live (west cobb).
* yes, there's a lot going on but atlanta doesn't make for a nice trip out
in the evening to get to these events unless you're in midtown, east
atlanta or such (downtown still remains dead)
* good eats popping up in various places (decatur, always - midtown - sandy
springs - roswell - maybe eventually marietta square)

I would guess this google partner would be somewhere around 5th street or
so in midtown?  This is the hub of all the new tech firms right now...we're
opening up the Atlanta Foundry later this month (it's a geek petting zoo
basically) on 5th street.

Is this enough of an atlanta pep talk? <grin>