[Chugalug] Ugly font on Tim Berners-Lee's home page

Robert A. Kelly III bluethegrappler at gmail.com
Wed Aug 14 01:23:12 UTC 2013

On 08/13/2013 08:29 PM, Chad Smith wrote:
> yes, because that is much easier than getting a real font.</snark>
>
> http://www.freefontsdb.com/detail/7881/Palatino-Linotype
>
> But, yeah, I guess it is good to know how to tunr off hinting.
>
> /-Chad W. Smith/

Well, it is not exactly legal to use the real Palatino Linotype without
a license. You can purchase it for only $594, though.
http://www.fonts.com/font/linotype/palatino-linotype#product_191862

Since URW Palladio L is licensed under the GPL with Font Exception, it
should be possible to fix the hinting. That seems like an ideal
solution, but obviously requires some work from someone skilled in font
hinting. But considering how bad it appears to be currently, I don't see
why various distributions wouldn't just turn off hinting for URW
Palladio L. Does anyone know if any distros actually do this?