[Chugalug] looking for router reccomendations, gigabit & PoE

lists at cluebat.net lists at cluebat.net
Tue Aug 13 23:33:19 UTC 2013

I've dealt with Untangle. We had a 'PCI Compliance vendor' that was really
in the business of selling Untangle boxes.

However, I stopped taking Untangle seriously when security flaws started
being disclosed, and one day, we found that one of our customers who bought
the PCI Compliance Untangle box had managed to get it rooted.

While I'm fairly sure that the Untangle folks have probably addressed the
security concerns, I have trust issues, and would be very hard pressed to
actually put one in production unless under direct orders to do so.

I've gotten to the point where, when it comes to software firewalls, the
only thing I'll really trust is an OpenBSD box with customized pf firewalls,
simply because OpenBSD has the track record of not being terribly remote
exploitable.

That being said, I have no problem with pfSense, and would consider it for
production deployment if a proper hardware firewall wasn't in the budget.