[Chugalug] Another Cisco Question

lists at cluebat.net lists at cluebat.net
Tue Aug 13 23:23:46 UTC 2013

I am decidedly not a fan of Cisco security products. Cisco doesn't know how to do security properly. I hated PIX's, and I'm not a fan of the ASA's either. Likewise, I think Cisco is a crappy wireless company, as well as their miscellaneous services (load balancing, web caching, etc).

They kick some serious ass in the route switch realm though. I'm still a big fan of Cisco access switches, and the ASR line of routers are rock solid (no experience with Nexus products, though I've heard some grumblings).

But yes, you most certainly pay for the name markup, just like you do with Apple, just like you do with Sony.

One of the best reasons, IMHO, to buy Cisco is not the quality of the hardware though. Cisco was the first big player in the game, and they did their marketing to technical professionals well. The Cisco certification programs have been so successful that their gear is the easiest when it comes to finding trained and experienced talent. Given that payroll is a large part of most company's overhead, that's not an inconsiderable point. There is a reason why a lot of network vendors try to make their NOS as close to IOS as they possibly can without infringing.