[Chugalug] Another Cisco Question

lists at cluebat.net lists at cluebat.net
Tue Aug 13 23:17:54 UTC 2013

So I used to work for a web hosting company. Our network design was bad,
collapsed core, big pain in the ass to deal with at our scale.

So management finally approved budget to let us get some proper distribution
switches. We solicited prices from a few different vendors. When it came to
Cisco, they didn't try and jack us around for retail, but the number they
quoted us was 20% higher than what AT&T was willing to sell us Cisco gear
for. Even upon being informed of this, the Cisco rep would not come down on
his number. The account manager tried to do an end run around us and go
directly to the president of the company, which made us not very well
disposed towards him. His sales engineer had the grace to look embarrassed
about it.

We ended up going with Force10, and didn't regret it. They make good gear
(whether that continues in the wake of the Dell acquisition remains to be
seen...)

The thing to keep in mind when dealing with Cisco reps is that they will
protect as much profit margin as they possibly can, even to the point of
dismissing common sense.

I like Cisco gear for most things, but I agree that they're a pain in the
ass to deal with when purchasing. Even TAC support quality has taken a
serious nose dive. We pay for High Touch Technical support and I've had to
explain several times to the TAC rep that A) I know what the problem is, I
need replacement hardware B) No, I'm really not going to take down
production links outside of the maintenance window just so you can do some
troubleshooting that I've already done and come to the same conclusion and
C) Would you please get the duty manager for me? (That's about the time they
get downright cooperative and want me off the phone as quickly as possible).
Their CMTS support is even more atrocious.