[Chugalug] looking for router reccomendations, gigabit & PoE

Dave Brockman dave at brockmans.com
Tue Aug 13 23:10:44 UTC 2013

On 8/13/2013 6:53 PM, Mike Harrison wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Aug 2013, Aaron welch wrote:
>> Still not sure why someone would need a gig firewall that is not
>> a business.  If you do need it, then build a pfsense box and an
>> older Cisco 29xx or 35xx POE switch.
> Because this is the "Gig City", and you can get a Gig, you need a
> firewall that can support it.

It's almost like the IPv6 chicken and egg drama.  That Gig connection
won't do you any good unless your neighbor also has a Gig, and you
guys are actively passing traffic.  I have to look pretty hard to find
sources that can feed me > 20Mb/s.  Xferring ISOs across a VPN to a
client at 50Mb/s speeds is pretty farking awesome though.

> On topic: A person I respect was ranting about Untangle
> https://www.untangle.com  the other day, I need to give it a try.

We have several deployed.  I don't care for them (or anything else
really) in bridged mode, it's a bit of a PITA to have to sniff what's
going in *and* what's going out to try and figure out which
"sniffer/helper" application does something it doesn't like.  In
Routed firewall mode, they are neat, but everything is done in
software, so you need a beefy box to handle any real traffic (> 2 users).

> Almost On topic: Gnunet.org would be the killer thing to do with a
> lot of Gig bi-direction home/business connections.

Who wants to help me back up my Technet Archives now that MS is no
longer going to do me that solid?

Version: GnuPG v2.0.17 (MingW32)