[Chugalug] Another Cisco Question

David Ingram david at clevelandlibrary.org
Tue Aug 13 19:44:30 UTC 2013

Indeed the UniFi controller version 2.3.9 running on Ubuntu uses java. But
the controller is independent and not required after initial setup.

On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 2:30 PM, David White <dwrudy at gmail.com> wrote:

> Is this the UniFi controller software or the older stuff they had?
>

> This is the newer UniFi controller software.
>
> Cisco bought Meraki btw...
>

> Correct. They're still acting mostly independent, though, and their stuff
> is different from the straight Cisco stuff. You can't use Meraki's cloud
> manager, for example, to manage Cisco stuff and vice-versa.
>
> Engenius and Ubiquity use the same hardware with different firmware.
>> Engenius units work well in stand-alone deployments, allow VLAN
>> separated ESSIDs and generally have better signal strength than
>> anything else you are likely to pick up locally.
>

> Thanks for this. I'll take a look at Engenius.
>
> On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 12:40 PM, Dave Brockman <dave at brockmans.com>wrote:

>> On 8/13/2013 12:30 PM, David White wrote:
>> > I actually have a client that uses the Ubiquity APs. They work
>> > fine, but what I don't like about them is the Java-based controller
>> > that you have to use with them. I didn't set them up, but the
>> > person who did, didn't relay any information to me about them, so I
>> > basically had to go in and figure everything out (I didn't have any
>> > passwords, and in the course of "figuring things out" I managed to
>> > break the software by uninstalling what I thought was an old
>> > version of Java from the server).
>>
>> Is this the UniFi controller software or the older stuff they had?
>>
>> > Took me a while, but I know how they work now. Again, I like them
>> > - they're nice - but I just don't like that Java-based controller
>> > software!
>> >
>> > I did just find the WAP321, which looks like its cheaper for
>> > (almost) the same feature sets. Another option is Meraki - I sat in
>> > on a Meraki "Intro to Cloud Networking" webinar a couple weeks ago,
>> > and I know they have some good stuff.
>>
>> Cisco bought Meraki btw...
>>
>> > And yes, there's also Ubiquity, which I haven't ruled out yet.
>>
>> Engenius and Ubiquity use the same hardware with different firmware.
>> Engenius units work well in stand-alone deployments, allow VLAN
>> separated ESSIDs and generally have better signal strength than
>> anything else you are likely to pick up locally.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> dtb
>>

>> > On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 12:11 PM, Dave Brockman
>> > <dave at brockmans.com <mailto:dave at brockmans.com>> wrote:

>> > I've used other Aironet APs, not the 1040 specifically.  I find
>> > them overpriced and underpowered for most of the needs of my
>> > clients. Right now, my AP of choise is an Engenius EAP600 Dual-Band
>> > units for standalone deployments.  Ubiquity uses the same hardware,
>> > but has a "software controller" you can use for multiple units.
>> > It's free and runs on XP+.

>> > (
>> http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/wireless/ps5678/ps11203/data_sheet_c78-609338.pdf
>> ),
>> >

>> > it seems that I won't need to get an additional controller and can
>> >
>> > AFAIK, all Cisco Aironet APs can operate in autonomous or
> [...]

David Ingram, Technology Coordinator
Cleveland Bradley County Public  Library

795 Church Street NE
Cleveland, TN 37311
423.472.2163  x127

http://www.clevelandlibrary.org