[Chugalug] Another Cisco Question

David White dwrudy at gmail.com
Tue Aug 13 18:30:30 UTC 2013

> Is this the UniFi controller software or the older stuff they had?

This is the newer UniFi controller software.

Cisco bought Meraki btw...

Correct. They're still acting mostly independent, though, and their stuff
is different from the straight Cisco stuff. You can't use Meraki's cloud
manager, for example, to manage Cisco stuff and vice-versa.

Engenius and Ubiquity use the same hardware with different firmware.
> Engenius units work well in stand-alone deployments, allow VLAN
> separated ESSIDs and generally have better signal strength than
> anything else you are likely to pick up locally.

Thanks for this. I'll take a look at Engenius.

On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 12:40 PM, Dave Brockman <dave at brockmans.com> wrote:

> [...]
> > break the software by uninstalling what I thought was an old
> > version of Java from the server).
>
> Is this the UniFi controller software or the older stuff they had?
>
> > Took me a while, but I know how they work now. Again, I like them
> > - they're nice - but I just don't like that Java-based controller
> > software!
> >
> > I did just find the WAP321, which looks like its cheaper for
> > (almost) the same feature sets. Another option is Meraki - I sat in
> > on a Meraki "Intro to Cloud Networking" webinar a couple weeks ago,
> > and I know they have some good stuff.
>
> Cisco bought Meraki btw...
>
> > And yes, there's also Ubiquity, which I haven't ruled out yet.
>
> Engenius and Ubiquity use the same hardware with different firmware.
> Engenius units work well in stand-alone deployments, allow VLAN
> separated ESSIDs and generally have better signal strength than
> anything else you are likely to pick up locally.
>
> Regards,
>
> dtb
>

> > On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 12:11 PM, Dave Brockman
> > <dave at brockmans.com <mailto:dave at brockmans.com>> wrote:
> >
> > On 8/13/2013 11:46 AM, David White wrote:
> >> Does anyone have experience with the Aironet 1040 APs? Do you
> >> love them or hate them? Would you recommend something else for
> >> the same capabilities?
> >
> > I've used other Aironet APs, not the 1040 specifically.  I find
> > them overpriced and underpowered for most of the needs of my
> > clients. Right now, my AP of choise is an Engenius EAP600 Dual-Band
> > units for standalone deployments.  Ubiquity uses the same hardware,
> > but has a "software controller" you can use for multiple units.
> > It's free and runs on XP+.
> >
> >> Reviewing the datasheet
> >
> > (
> http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/wireless/ps5678/ps11203/data_sheet_c78-609338.pdf
> ),
> >

> > it seems that I won't need to get an additional controller and can
> >> configure it as a stand-alone device - is this correct?
> >
> > AFAIK, all Cisco Aironet APs can operate in autonomous or
> > controller mode.  The older units you have to change the firmware
> > to switch between the two modes.
> >
> >> What if, down the road, I want to add a 2nd 1040 to the network?
> >> Would I need to get a controller at that point, or would I still
> >> be able to configure the two devices to talk to each other?
> >
> > Define "talk to each other".  They are network devices, if your
> > network is configured correctly, they can talk all day long.  I
> > suspect your question isn't answered by me telling you they can
> > talk CDP all day long to each other....
> >
> > If you want centralized management, the "self-healing" stuff, the
> > seamless roaming, you need a controller.
> >
> > Regards,

> > -- David White Founder & CEO * * *CENTS * Computing, Equipping,
> > Networking, Training & Supporting Nonprofit Organizations

David White
Founder & CEO
*
*