[Chugalug] Another Cisco Question

John Aldrich jmaldrich at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 13 17:38:13 UTC 2013

Quoting Bret McHone <dbmchone at gmail.com>:

> I honestly believe that Cisco is good stuff and their gear flat out
> works… The company just doesn't work with us very well and the gear
> seems to be a bit overcomplicated to me. We tried to buy 50+ 48-port
>  PoE+ switches and they were still about 30-40% MORE than the next
> competitor even after pitching the 2960S instead of the 3750X. Also,
>  when we evaluated their wireless gear a few years back it actually
> took the "Cisco Engineers" (the "partner" cisco sent to us to work
> with) 3 days just to make 5 APs work for our test area. I wasn't
> impressed.

I never said their gear was no good, just that you were probably
paying mostly for the name "Cisco" on the front of the gear. Your
experience would seem to back that up. I mean, for the longest time,
Cisco was THE name in networking, especially firewalls and such. These
days a metric crap-ton of companies are getting into the firewall
business and if you've got a spare PC, you can have a "free" firewall
using one of the firewall-specific Linux products.

Again, my point is that Cisco's gear isn't crap, it's just overpriced.