[Chugalug] Another Cisco Question

Dave Brockman dave at brockmans.com
Tue Aug 13 16:40:22 UTC 2013

On 8/13/2013 12:30 PM, David White wrote:
> I actually have a client that uses the Ubiquity APs. They work
> fine, but what I don't like about them is the Java-based controller
> that you have to use with them. I didn't set them up, but the
> person who did, didn't relay any information to me about them, so I
> basically had to go in and figure everything out (I didn't have any
> passwords, and in the course of "figuring things out" I managed to
> break the software by uninstalling what I thought was an old
> version of Java from the server).

Is this the UniFi controller software or the older stuff they had?

> Took me a while, but I know how they work now. Again, I like them
> - they're nice - but I just don't like that Java-based controller
> software!
>
> I did just find the WAP321, which looks like its cheaper for
> (almost) the same feature sets. Another option is Meraki - I sat in
> on a Meraki "Intro to Cloud Networking" webinar a couple weeks ago,
> and I know they have some good stuff.

Cisco bought Meraki btw...

> And yes, there's also Ubiquity, which I haven't ruled out yet.

Engenius and Ubiquity use the same hardware with different firmware.
Engenius units work well in stand-alone deployments, allow VLAN
separated ESSIDs and generally have better signal strength than
anything else you are likely to pick up locally.

Regards,

dtb