[Chugalug] Another Cisco Question

Bret McHone dbmchone at gmail.com
Tue Aug 13 16:30:55 UTC 2013

I'm just going to throw this out there. We use Aruba which is traditionally controller based, but they also have Aruba Instant APs which work very well without a controller if your deployment is limited. We are actually going to be deploying some of them at a few of our smaller remote offices as soon as I can get out from under a few of our other projects.

I'm honestly not familiar with the current Cisco wireless offerings, but I do know when we evaluated them and compared them to Aruba, they couldn't come close to the same price. I think Cisco was almost 2x the cost between initial investment and licensing.. (We also compared both aruba and cisco to meru… but that was almost laughable)

I will throw a disclaimer out there that we have phased out most Cisco gear because of this. For some reason they just can't get pricing anywhere close to their competitors and the feature set differences do not account for the differences in cost...

-B