[Chugalug] Epic uptime achievement unlocked. Can you beat 16 years?

Ed King chevyiinova at bellsouth.net
Tue Aug 13 12:05:23 UTC 2013

On Mon, 12 Aug 2013, Dave Brockman wrote:

> May the spirits of IPX, NWFS-386 and SFT-III rest in peace.
>
> Anyone else remember these nightmares?:

My official job title in late 90's was Novell Network Admin altho that was probably 5% or less of my daily routine.  When I started working there (a mom 'n pop company down in St Pete Florida) they were on 3.x, they sent me to Novell Admin class and I came back and upgraded us to 4.x.   I was scared to death!  But, the upgrade went fine and the box (big ugly Compaq tower) was rock solid.   So I can't say it was a nightmare.   Actually I kinda look back on it in a warm fuzzy nostalgic sort of way.

I don't remember how we did it but from my desk I could remote control the Netware server (located in another suite) console.  So I had my IT partner call me from the phone next to the Netware server and leave the phone off the hook, and then he proceeded to show how he could "voice control" the Netware server (I would listen to his command and implement the command remotely).   I guess back then, remote control was not as ubiquitous as it is today, so we fooled a lot of people ;)

Purchased a book called "C Lab Notes".  It had the source code for IPX client and server apps, allowing one Netware node to run commands on another node.  So I compiled the source with good ol' Turbo C and put this into production; the Stats manager friggin loved it.  Most of our users were still on 386 desktops (yes, 386, in late 90's) so the ability to remotely run a stats job on a Pentium 100 was pretty damn cool...     even if the Pentium 100 was a mere 10 foot away from you.   Hey, we had to conserve our energy for playing frisbee at Fort Desoto state park during lunch breaks :)

Another fond/nostalgic memory of that place:   our printing system was run on a Sparcstation 5 pizza box with a "big gas" Sun monitor.  We printed thousands of mail-merged "scantron" sheets every day using that system.   Unfortuately, that system was also rock solid.  I say "unfortunately" because when a system is rock solid, it deprives you of "nightmares" aka "learning experiences" ;-)