[Chugalug] Tues evening at Chatt*Lab

Nate Hill nathanielhill at gmail.com
Fri Aug 9 12:38:43 UTC 2013

Hey thanks Tim.

It is awesome that we've got these different points popping up around town
(and I think there will be more soon).  We do have a different approach at
the library... we look at this as an entry level space, so we stay away
from some of the really heavy equipment.  We've got some nifty toys y'all
can access... the Makerbot has been so popular that there is a 2 week
backup on the public print queue so we've ordered another one.  The new
vinyl cutter was a hit on Gigtank demo day; our guy Dan ran it all day
offering vinyl silhouettes for those willing to pose in front of the green
screen.  Any moment now we'll have the laser cutter up and running too.
 We're currently open Mondays all day, Thursdays after 4:00 and Fridays all
day.

And its true, without the assistance and incubation from Chatt*Lab and
Co.Lab we certainly wouldn't be rocking all of this.  Profound thanks to
both orgs.  I'm only sad that because its a government building we can't
have beer brewing classes.  That would be sweet.

Let's keep this going!

On Thu, Aug 8, 2013 at 11:06 PM, Tim Youngblood <timyoungblood at gmail.com>wrote:

> The 4th Floor at the Chattanooga Public Library is a vital part of the
> maker ecosystem here along with Chatt*lab. Our approaches are very
> different but we both share the common goal of providing a place for folks
> to share, learn and build cool stuff, and frankly, y'all should get to know
> both organizations.
>
> Our library, by the way, has taken a meteoric rise and is a massive asset
> to our city. The stuff going on there is so far ahead of where most on this
> list can even imagine. Y'all should really check it out. The 4th Floor is
> one of the key factors of this rise.
>
> Chatt*lab started the conversation on making (this time around) and we
> helped get 4th Floor off the ground (Maker Day was a smash with over 1,000
> attendees) along with the folks over at Co.Lab, but we are all working
> together to raise the DIY tide here in Chattanooga.
>
> Tuesday nights are our current public social night. Check us out on our Google+
> Community <http://goo.gl/5eTnj> (119 followers!) for news and events.
> Also check out the 4th Floor blog <http://4thfloor.chattlibrary.org/>.
>
> Yes, *you are lucky enough to live in Chattanooga where there are two
> (and counting) makerspaces*. The DC423<https://plus.google.com/u/1/communities/117863647529279870529>folks most likely would qualify as well if you count their quadcopters and
> brewing prowess!
>
> Carpe diem!
> Tim
>

> On Thu, Aug 8, 2013 at 9:02 PM, Nate Hill <nathanielhill at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> One and only?
>>

>> On Thursday, August 8, 2013, Tyler Mittan wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks, William. I am really interested in this.

>> --
>> Nate Hill
>> nathanielhill at gmail.com
>> http://4thfloor.chattlibrary.org/