[Chugalug] birth

Alex Smith (K4RNT) shadowhunter at gmail.com
Sat Aug 3 21:11:18 UTC 2013

I don't think so...

A reboot is required with the config file changed with the license keys
entered for it to start working.

If, on reboot, the license key is valid, it enables those features, and
then a command at successful boot can verify that it's enabled.

Just changing the serial number in /proc won't be very productive, since a
reboot is required, and every time the serial number will be reset to the
correct number.

I'm not an expert, but that feels like what happens. That reflects the
steps I had to go through to get MPEG-2 and VC-1 decode enabled on my RPi.

On Sat, Aug 3, 2013 at 4:59 AM, Ed King <chevyiinova at bellsouth.net> wrote:

> http://www.raspberrypi.com/mpeg-2-license-key/
>
> If the cpu serial number is determined by the kernel command line
> parameter (wild ass assumption) then it would seem to me that a dishonest
> person with 1,000 r-pi units could purchase only one license and then use
> it on all 1,000 units by setting the kernel parameter to the same serial
> number.  Not that I condone such behavior, but the hacker/cracker in me
> just wonders if that is possible.
>

> ------------------------------
> On Sat, Aug 3, 2013 3:49 AM EDT Alex Smith (K4RNT) wrote:
>
> >On Sat, Aug 3, 2013 at 12:42 AM, Ed King <chevyiinova at bellsouth.net>
> wrote:
> >
> >> verbatim except for the serial number
> >>
> >> kinda curious why the cpu serial number appears on the "kernel command
> >> line"...   does that mean its edit-able?  hmmm, will have to research
> that
> >> in my spare time.
> >>

> >I can't answer why, but /proc is read-only, and if you did manage to edit
> >what you saw in /proc, a reboot would just reset it to it's real correct
> >serial number.
> >
> >Hmmm... I've never tried what you suggest, why would you do something like
> >this?
> >
> >--
> >" ' With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured,
> >the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all
> >irrevocably.' Those words were uttered by Judge Aaron Satie as wisdom and
> >warning... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on we’re all
> >damaged." - Jean-Luc Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie, Star Trek: TNG
> >episode "The Drumhead"
> >- Alex Smith (K4RNT)
> >- Dulles Technology Corridor (Chantilly/Ashburn/Dulles), Virginia USA

episode "The Drumhead"
- Alex Smith (K4RNT)