[Chugalug] Linux Fun and Power Saving

Stephen Haywood stephen at averagesecurityguy.info
Fri Apr 19 01:01:34 UTC 2013

Does building a web app on Ubuntu using web.py and Redis count? How about
fixing an OpenVAS XML parsing bug in Metasploit using Kali Linux and the
OpenVAS appliance?

Stephen Haywood
Owner, ASG Consulting
CISSP, GSEC, OSCP
W: www.averagesecurityguy.info
T: @averagesecguy

On Apr 18, 2013, at 8:06 PM, William Wade <willm.wade at gmail.com> wrote:

On topic woot! I was just going to talk about what I just finished setting
up. Mostly because I hope it will give others ideas and encourage you to
get crazy and make something.

Thanks to Aaron, I got a Pogoplug at the last swap meet. Now I like to have
a home computer that I can log into via ssh to get to files and what not
that I need. Also I like to have a web server for testing as well as
sending large files.

So I have had my main desktop running 24/7. This worked fine but the amount
of power it uses is more than I would like.

I setup Arch Linux on the pogo plug and setup apache and a few other
servers. I did not have and extra usb hard drive that could hold my data
that I needed access to from time to time.

So I setup wake on lan on the desktop and a script with the MAC address on
the Pogoplug.
Now I can ssh into the Pogoplug, wake up the desktop and ssh over to it.

Nothing amazing, but I think the power saving is nice. And all possible
through Linux and open source.

What fun little projects has everyone else been doing with Linux recently?