[Chugalug] OT: Favorite Enterprise Firewalls?

Bret McHone dbmchone at gmail.com
Wed Apr 17 14:50:08 UTC 2013

The term "Enterprise" is as much political as it is technical. Sure, I
could grab a couple PE2950s that i've decommissioned and put PFSense on it
and it would probably outperform a lot of what's out there. However, if
something breaks it falls on me 100%. I am one of two people that support
our entire infrastructure. That includes wired & wireless LAN,
Virtualization, storage, etc.. It all falls on me. I'm a bit of a jack of
all trades, but a master of none so vendor relationships are actually
pretty dang important to me.

I actually do use PFSense as a firewall for my public access network. It's
a good system and I think it works well, but that back-end support and
local "feet on the street" support just isn't there. My Brocade and
Enterasys vendors have actually come on-site and helped me out at no extra
cost with various migrations. Our Brocade engineer actually drove over from
Nashville to help me out at 2AM during our switch migration from nortel
passport 8610 to the MLX a few years back just to give me an extra set of
hands and troubleshoot a couple simple network configuration issues..

Your input is appreciated and you are welcome to your opinions, but we do
differ in what we think of "Enterprise" equipment.

-Bret