[Chugalug] Little VM Server

Matt Keys mk6032 at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 13 13:20:55 UTC 2013

I prefer AMD hardware, Ubuntu server 12.04 LTS, select SSH server and
Virtual Host on installation. After installation is completed;

sudo apt-get install virt-manager -y

then just "sudo virt-manager" at the cli. The default vm nat works ok,
but I prefer to bridge physical NICs and assign the VMs to those bridge
interfaces. Doing it that way your VMs act like they're on the physical
lan and you can forward ports to them from your router/gateway. My
/etc/network/interfaces :

# The primary network interface
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet manual

# bridge eth0
auto br0
iface br0 inet static
     address <address>
     netmask <netmask>
     network <network>
     broadcast <broadcast>
     gateway <gw>
     # dns-* options are implemented by the resolvconf package, if installed
     dns-nameservers 8.8.8.8
     dns-search <your domain>
     bridge_ports eth0
     bridge_stp off