[Chugalug] Little VM Server

Jason Brown lists at masterforge.com
Fri Apr 12 13:58:51 UTC 2013

True, you are only stuck with RedHat/Fedora for the management console,
which is bad enough on it's own (for a Debian guy like me) but without
the guest agent your options are also limited. This is they guest agent
I was talking about:
http://www.ovirt.org/Category:Ovirt_guest_agent

Sure, almost anything "Will run" under KVM, but without the guest
extensions then it "just runs", As with most visualization technologies
often you have issues with ACPI, shutdown vs reboot, various other
reporting and management features of the OS.  In particular, real time
clock issues tend to go really crazy. (I don't know if that is true in
oVirt but it is in VmWare). They list the agent as required on the above
page.

In Virtualbox and VmWare for example, the guest agent (or guest
extensions I think they call it) provide hardware clock sync, USB pass
through support, optical drive attach / detach. Shutdown / Reboot /
Suspend calls from the management console, etc.

On a related note, I have been prepping to play with OpenStack (the real
one, not RackSpace or HP) for larger setups and I have no idea how these
issues are managed there.

--Jason