[Chugalug] Little VM Server

Lynn Dixon boodaddy at gmail.com
Fri Apr 12 13:28:02 UTC 2013

Jason,
I think you are thinking about the management console itself?  But yeah,
oVirt runs on RHEL variants such as CentOS and Fedora. You will need to run
oVirt's hypervisor on the server you want to use as a host, but you can
also run the management console on this same machine.

But, once you have the environment running, you can run any OS as a guest
that will run on KVM, which is pretty much anything. The hypervisor is KVM
at the core, and the only "Red Hat-ish" stuff is geared around the
management of the hypevisor.  I have built several Windows variants in
oVirt, and I always use the latest KVM guest tools I can find.  I prefer
Spice to be the console, and it works great in Windows guests.

The entire management console was re-written in JBOSS.  Red Hat originally
bought the product from Kumranet which was highly windows centric.  Of
course, Red Hat re-worked it to perform on their gear, but any CentOS or
Fedora OS will run the management console.  They are however, asking for
help getting the console to run on top of other *NIX variants.

TLDR: If your guest OS will run on KVM hypervisors, it will run in oVirt.
 oVirt is simply a pretty web console to manage KVM hypervisors, storage
and hosts.