[Chugalug] debian:stupid samba question

Rip Linton ripl at aol.com
Thu Apr 11 06:25:48 UTC 2013

You may not have the SWAT package installed.

You do have to make a choice to install SWAT or to configure smb.conf by hand or using another program, like gadmin-samba. If you go with SWAT, it is fairly easy to set up. But, once you do that, you cannot make changes to smb.conf by hand or you risk losing them when you go into SWAT again. Not a major problem, but something to keep in mind.

I have always used SWAT until recently. I started doing most of the configurations by hand editing smb.conf just to save time since I always set things up the same way.

I looked a gadmin-samba recently. It is a powerful tool that seems to set most parameters. You may want to try it. Just add the package gadmin-samba from Synaptics and you can try it out.

Rip