[Chugalug] some mac mini server questions

Jonathan Calloway jonathancalloway at gmail.com
Tue Apr 9 00:44:26 UTC 2013

Running an OS X server is a little different than running a straight Linux server.  The configuration files are not always where you expect them, and if they are, the system may be using something else as apposed to the configuration files.  A good example is SAMBA.  While you'll find an smb.conf file present, the system doesn't rely on it for what you expect it too.  Also, you cannot create users by using smbpasswd, because user and group integration is driven either by the local directory or OpenDirectory.  It's best to view the open source technologies used in OS X server as "Apple-ized" versions (some would prefer bastard-ized) versions of their *nix counterparts.

<JC>

P.S.

Call me and let me know when and where to pick up that cable.  At this point, tomorrow evening s preferable.