[Chugalug] Local Hosted VoIP providers?

Matt Keys mk6032 at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 5 10:48:33 UTC 2013

Hey David,

I work for eZuce now so I've gotta throw the sales pitch for our
product. If you need enterprise class service/support, openUC is our
thing. That being said, openUC has a open source variant, sipXecs, which
I've used in local small businesses with great success. When paired with
a good ITSP such as Bandwidth.com or voip.ms, it's a rock solid product
with lots of advantages over asterisk based (B2BUA) boxes. Bandwidth
also has their commodity cloud based VoIP service, phonebooth.com, which
would be more in line with what you're looking for minus the locally
hosted PBX.

I would consider sipXecs 4.4 as the most stable. The website will list
4.6 as stable, but it's a completely different architecture underneath
as opposed to 4.4. When you have changes that drastic, there's going to
be bugs that need working out. Keeping that in mind, 4.6 does bring some
really nice improvements over 4.4 and will work equally well for that
size of a deployment.

You'll need a static IP for the ITSP to point to if you're going the
locally hosted pbx route. I highly recommend Polycom phones. They're a
little pricey, but well worth it. SPIP 335s are the perfect baseline
models. If the business needs faxing, I would go with eFax or a separate
analog line for that.

For a local reference you should check with Phil Sieg. How's the project
going btw Phil?

Regards,
Matt