[Chugalug] Bitcoin prices nearing $100

Alex Smith (K4RNT) shadowhunter at gmail.com
Mon Apr 1 15:13:27 UTC 2013

I saw an NVIDIA Tesla computing card on eBay for under $200, might get that
for my server, not sure if I'm interested in mining bitcoins yet, they seem
to be pretty compute-intensive with a lot of power consumed compared to the
value of the bitcoins, but I haven't done an analysis yet.

Anyone mind explaining to me how the value of the Bitcoin could possibly
exceed the power consumed to mine it?

Not trying to troll, just trying to figure out whether it's worth my
investment.

On Mon, Apr 1, 2013 at 10:44 AM, Aaron welch <n2nightfall at gmail.com> wrote:

> No bueano.
>
> -AW
>

> On Mon, Apr 1, 2013 at 10:41 AM, Eric Wolf <ebwolf at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Speaking of which... I recently shipped a pair of ATI 5830s to a
>> CHUGALUGer who never even had the courtesy to pay me for the shipping...
>>
>> -=--=---=----=----=---=--=-=--=---=----=---=--=-=-
>> Eric B. Wolf                           720-334-7734
>>

>> On Mon, Apr 1, 2013 at 10:01 AM, Aaron Welch <n2nightfall at gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>> I should have never stopped mining.  Grr... Hindsight.  I think I will
>>> sell mine today.
>>>
>>> -AW
>>>

>>> On Apr 1, 2013, at 9:55 AM, Lynn Dixon <boodaddy at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> My guess is that we will hit the $100 mark sometime today.  Prices have
>>> been hovering around the $98 -$99 mark and have been steadily going up week
>>> after week.
>>>
>>> BFL also shipped their first ASIC miner to Luke_JR, and it is mining on
>>> Eligius mining pool right now.  Maybe the rest of us will see our ASIC rigs
>>> in the next couple weeks.
>>>
>>> I honestly never would have thought Bitcoins would hit the $100 mark,
>>> but here we are right on the verge.  Yahoo Finance had an article
>>> discussing the scramble to digitial currencies due to the events happening
>>> in Cypress:
>>> http://finance.yahoo.com/news/bitcoin-cyprus-sparks-scramble-digital-164900785.html

> Aaron Welch
> Chief Mechanic @ Geek Ventures
> 423-505-9999
> n2nightfall at gmail.com
> "Enabling people to do great things with their own ideas."

episode "The Drumhead"
- Alex Smith (K4RNT)