[Chugalug] Free small linux VPS with external facing IP. Figured I would share.

Lynn Dixon boodaddy at gmail.com
Fri Sep 28 15:43:32 UTC 2012

So, I found a deal a few weeks ago from a company called Chunkhost that is
offering a small Linux VPS for free with no obligations.  They will install
several popular distros for you, and they have a pretty clean and effecient
dashboard for management.  You can even do an automated "reimage" if you
mess up your machine that takes about 2 minutes to complete.

Heres the details:

4 core vCPU
128 meg ram (yeah, this sucks, but if you refer friends they give you more
ram the more folks you refer)
3 gig hdd (expands with referals)
35 gig bandwidth
1 dedicated externally facing IP address
DNS control

Yeah, its pretty tiny to start out.  But it makes a really good proxy
server.  I get excellent speeds from the one I have.  the cool thing is
they are doing it dropbox style, where the more folks you refer, the more
resources they give your "chunk" (VPS).  You can get all the way up to 2gig
ram, 30gig of disk, and 600gig of bandwidth with a small amount of
referrals.

EVen the small VPS is pretty fun.  Getting an external facing IP address is
nice because it lets you setup a squid proxy, VPN exit point, or even a
wordpress blog. I have used mine a few times to tinker with tuned to try to
maximize resource useage since its so tight, which its good practice.  A
nice feature is being able to reimage the VPS with the click of a button in
2 minutes.

So, I wanted to share it with you all.  Heres the links:

www.chunkhost.com

Or, if you want to help me increase my resources on my chunk, you can use
my referral link:
http://chunkhost.com/r/cubedroot

Have fun!