[Chugalug] $65 ZEEPAD 7" android 4.0 tablet is freakin great!

Lynn Dixon boodaddy at gmail.com
Fri Sep 28 03:31:54 UTC 2012

What about taking those investment costs and hiring a software developer
team to just build an android app that integrates with your sip/voip
offering to allow your customers to use any tablet they may already have
(probably already have is better term) as a video conference device on your
service? That is easier to market to your existing customer as a value add,
and also is a marketable feature for your service to potential new
customers. It also isolates you from making and selling hardware that
people already have.
Then, to market to customers that don't have tablets you could offer the
Chinese built tablet with your branding on it as an additional product and
not have any sunk costs in said hardware.

At work we use tele presence a good bit since we have a global presence. I
routinely use my tablet for video conferencing and have zero desire for a
desktop dock just to have a corded handset. I can simply plop my blue tooth
headset in my ear and pair it with my tablet if don't like the on board mic
of my tablet. We are using polycom, Cisco, and Avaya for tele presence and
each have value add apps so you can use your existing mobile device
infrastructure to save costs. We are a fortune 400, and my team alone has a
multi-million dollar annual budget, and we have decided to not waste money
on desktop video phones when our tablets and phones work perfectly already.

Right now Cisco is blowing it away simply because they have a badass app
for their tele presence. Microsoft Link is also really really good at tele
presence, voip and video and it can be sold as a hosted service for a
couple bucks per month per user, and that includes full document
collaboration and an Office 365 suite.

Unified communications is crashing together with document collaboration in
the cloud space and the big boys have already released some really
competitive products with aggressively cheap pricing.

Don't get me wrong, I don't like MS, and but Link is a really good product,
that can be bundled with other services and sold in pretty much any manner.
It's going to be tough to play ball with it when it can be so cheap for
SOHO and even large enterprise (like us) to buy, bundle with Office 365,
and have a full on tele presence, and voice, voip, video, doc
collaboration, cloud storage of said docs and instant white boarding and
meeting services all in one package.