[Chugalug] Ethernet cable

John Aldrich jmaldrich at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 27 21:26:43 UTC 2012

On Thu September 27 2012 3:38:24 PM Chad Smith wrote:
> Ok - i'm in need of about 30 feet of new ethernet cable, and I was googling,
> and I'm finding Cat5e 50 foot lengths - with ends - for under $5.00 including
> shipping.
>
> Should I be suspicious, or is that about right?
>
>And is Cat6 more reliable than Cat5?  I know I will never come close to
> maxing out the speed of Cat5, since I'm not in GigCity.

Well, my take on Cat 5 vs Cat 6 depends on whether you're going be operating
in a high EMF area. If you are, you might want to either use shielded or Cat
6. Then again, I'm no networking expert, but AIUI the theory of cat 6, is that
it's tighter twists so there's less interference, and thus you can get higher
speeds. Cat 5E can get you GigE over short distances, but for longer distances
you really need the Cat 6, I believe.

I was going to suggest that the $5 price range you might get some pretty lousy
quality cable. That being said, Amazon has Belkin cables for that price, so
maybe it's not so bad. Still, I'd recommend going with a name brand cable over
a no-name, just to be on the safe side.